JESC Install Instructions
- NewBeeDrone boards using the Y layout can now be flashed with JESC. Since Y is the same as S simply select the S layout with the same dead-time, check the 'ignore incompatible layout' checkbox and flash away.
JESC is a replacement firmware for BLHeli_S ESCs and works on any BLHeli_S ESC. See JESC Overview for more information on JESC. JESC is open source and free on L and H ESCs. On H escs the optional rpm telemetry service required for RPM Filtering costs a small fee to allow us to professionally support and develop the product. There's a free preview version with support for RPM filtering available for L ESCs.
Flashing ESCs is a critical activity. Mistakes can lead to firmware corruption which is hard to reverse. Please be extra careful and follow these instructions to the letter! Make sure your internet connection is working - it's required to use jesc-configurator. Make sure your lipo is fully charged, your USB connector is reliable and you use a USB cable that's working well. Finally don't ever flash you ESCs with your transmitter powered, particularly on micro builds. Some receivers send their telemetry with enough power to compromise the ESCs signal lines.
Have questions? Check out our FAQ or visit the JESC rcgroups thread. Something doesn't work? Read our Troubleshooting Guide.
- Check whether your ESC supports the features you need from JESC:
Start the BLHeli Configurator and check the name of the ESC. It's of the form A-H-30. If the middle letter is an H the ESC is fully supported including RPM Filtering. L ESCs can run JESC and there is a preview with RPM filtering support.
- Check whether your FC is supports bidirectional dshot. All STM32F4 and STM32F7 based FCs do. Many STM32F3 boards do (see here).
- If you want to run RPM FIltering on BF install the latest BF version since >BF 4.1 is required.
- Download and install the latest JESC Configurator here.
- If you want to run RPM Filtering on H ESCs visit https://jflight.net, set up an account and purchase the required Telemetry licenses for your esc. Don't worry if your order is shown as pending: if your payment was successful move right to the next step.
- Start JESC Configurator
- If you want to run RPM Filtering on H ESCs use the "License All" button to connect your licenses to your ESC.
- Flash the latest JESC firmware by pressing "Flash All" and follow instructions.
- If using RPM Telemetry on H ESCs flash the latest Telemetry firmware by pressing "Flash All Telemetry" and follow instructions.
- If you have any problems during licensing / flashing use the "Save Debug Log" button to produce a log to share with us
- Now follow the BetaFlight RPM Filter Instructions.
Did you run into any issues? Check the Troubleshooting guide and the FAQ. If your answer isn't there ask your question in the Support Forum.